1980 JCM 800 A-cab w/ GT-65's- opinions?

ken Tucky

Reaction score
I think it's priced a bit high myself. IMO it's listed right about where the speaker value is IF they are indeed G1265. And the speakers are pretty much the value of the cab as the box itself is simply not worth a great deal. I would guess the surviving badged JCM800 series 4X12 cabs loaded with G12-65 would be more in demand than a generic 80s 1960 box and I've seen the 800s in the $500-$700 range. Great speakers though no doubt about that but there are also a variety of versions varying in desirability with the 1777 and 444 cones being the top choice.

Another thing to keep in mind is there may be a tag on the back that states the cabs power handling. Even IF it suggests 65 watt speakers with a rating of 260 watts it could still contain G12T-75 regardless. Not a bad thing of course but definitely a speaker desirability and any potential resale value reality.

That said, no need to take the entire back off to check the innards. Just remove the back input jack plate (or mono jack funnel cup input) and shine a flashlight in there for a look. That or remove a handle will also work.

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So this guy runs a shop,but doesn't have a convenient screwgun, to get the cab back off to show the consumer the speaker?
Check all 4 speakers,
I'm sure he has a screw gun. I'm sure he took the back off and checked it before he bought it. I'm sure he doesn't clearly recall, because he's had it for a while, has other cabs some of which have come and gone, and was giving me his best recollection before going through the trouble of removing the back just because I curiously asked what speakers were innit. If I do decide to pursue it, we will take the back off and verify what the speakers are. Although, the type of speakers that ARE in it might be of little consequence, since my attraction to it is its sound, rather than its historical integrity, as I'm not a vintage collector.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have an 80s jcm 800 leadseries A cab
Mine has the mid eighties g12t75 no vent. They sound good for metal. The 65 vented ones were supposed be voiced slightly better. Some claim like greens,some claim like early creams. Wish I had a set of 4 to compare.

Come on already Vin , fire in the hole !

Some guys are way too patient on pulling the trigger.
Wtf, I would have lost sleep pondering this transaction.

Get it home, and fire it up !
Except that I've been impulsive too many times in the yonder past, and swore it off. I need to keep my priorities straight: I just bought a 1960A, do I really want another 4x12 taking up space in my house? What if I blow the $$$ on this, and some other cool thing appears next week? You have to think about these things. So, I was only looking for info on the cabinet, not suggestions on whether I should buy it - I can better determine that myself once I'm equipped with enough knowledge about what I'm actually looking at with such an item.

Thepartyprogram

Reaction score
I got a local guy ("Ayyye... I gotta guy, you gotta guy. You gotta go to da guy dat I got!").

Anyway, he's got a small, humble shop, I've known him for decades, and I try to support him when I can. He's got a 1980 Marshall A-cab with GT-65's in it. I had him plug in a DSL and give it a whirl so I could hear the DSL objectively, but I was like, "Wow - what cab is that and what speakers are in it?" He said, "Uhm... I'm pretty sure they're... GT-65's?". We wouldn't know 100% unless we take the back off, but he's usually right. Either way, whatever's in it, it sure sounded sweet. The price is $895.

I'd like some opinions on this please. Are GT-65's Green backs? I know nothing about pre-1960 model Marshall cabs, and I don't know a thing about GT-65's. All I know is it sounds really really good. It might be a great match for my JCM 800 SC20H.

Thanks for your input on this. Here is it, a pic:

5e3855_94e97fdf1b9e4bea965dfdae75821ed8~mv2.jpg

it
yes, i got 2 of these. Mine are a bit earlier cabs, but it doesn't really matter. I tried all marshall cabs and these 65 watters are my favorites. They are a major part of my sound, i drive them with 2 super leads, 1 is a 76' , the other is an early 70's. At the sweet spot , these speakers sound louder ,more articulate and they have a nice complex upper midrange, they really cut through anything. Whatever speakers are in it, if you dig the sound, buy the cab, its as simple as that. The back ID shield shoudl say 260watt and they also have a bass version of the 65 watt, but i have only heard the lead version.

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, i got 2 of these. Mine are a bit earlier cabs, but it doesn't really matter. I tried all marshall cabs and these 65 watters are my favorites. They are a major part of my sound, i drive them with 2 super leads, 1 is a 76' , the other is an early 70's. At the sweet spot , these speakers sound louder ,more articulate and they have a nice complex upper midrange, they really cut through anything. Whatever speakers are in it, if you dig the sound, buy the cab, its as simple as that. The back ID shield shoudl say 260watt and they also have a bass version of the 65 watt, but i have only heard the lead version.
:welcome: ... to this, our beloved forum.

Last edited:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
The back ID shield shoudl say 260watt and they also have a bass version of the 65 watt, but i have only heard the lead version.
Correct, but in the late 70s to early 80s the tags
weren't always the correct ones. It seems sometimes they slapped the leftover tags from
the earlier assemblies on, there are cabs with 12T75's that still say 260watt on the tag instead
of 300.

So, when do you get the cab? We want moar pics!:wow::p

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
If it does have the 65's, and it sounds good, it would probably be a trade up as a trade in with your 75 loaded cab, as a match up for your SC20H, depending on the type of music you play. The G12-65 with the large dust caps (different speakers from the late model G12M-65 Creamback) is a match for the 800s, usually. And green backs have small dust caps.

The G12T75 evolved from the G12-65 , but evolved to have more bass and more treble. That's the main difference. But there's a bunch of slightly different versions of the 65 and they don't all sound alike.

Burk

Reaction score
I got a local guy ("Ayyye... I gotta guy, you gotta guy. You gotta go to da guy dat I got!").

Anyway, he's got a small, humble shop, I've known him for decades, and I try to support him when I can. He's got a 1980 Marshall A-cab with GT-65's in it. I had him plug in a DSL and give it a whirl so I could hear the DSL objectively, but I was like, "Wow - what cab is that and what speakers are in it?" He said, "Uhm... I'm pretty sure they're... GT-65's?". We wouldn't know 100% unless we take the back off, but he's usually right. Either way, whatever's in it, it sure sounded sweet. The price is $895.

I'd like some opinions on this please. Are GT-65's Green backs? I know nothing about pre-1960 model Marshall cabs, and I don't know a thing about GT-65's. All I know is it sounds really really good. It might be a great match for my JCM 800 SC20H.

it
65’s are different from the creamback 65’s…..my ears feel like the cream backs have a weird little mid bump (not sure what frequency it is)….I have a 1936 2x12 w/newer heritage 65’s (to my knowledge, supposed to be similar to the older 65’s that were originally in the older 800 cabs). They might be my favorite speakers. I always thought they were a little dark, or brown….which makes since because the 800’s were supposedly known to be a little bright (maybe to compensate for that). I foolishly sold a mint 4x12 w/them a few years ago for $400. I’m sure it was worth 500-700….to the right buyer

Dean Swindell

Reaction score

it
In the 90a a guy loaned me a Mitchell 4x12 for about a month - I used a few different heads on it and it sounded fantastic all the time. I asked him what was in it. He said "let's find out" and pulled the back off. They were 65's, no they aren't green backs, they're their own speaker.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Those cabs are getting worth more and more.
They are also in short supply. You can always upgrade the drivers, but you will not find
the beautiful look of the 1960 Marshall dissapointing.

Buy the cab, other money will show up in the future for other stuff.

I got 2 of the 1960s.
They sound great.

Enjoy the ride!

mspart

Reaction score
Looking on reverb.com, they have a similar cab which says it has G12 65 speakers. I looked that up and those are not the same as the G12M65 creambacks. I'm a newbie so I don't know everything. I agree, I'd open it up and see what it has. That said, if it sounds great, it is at a decent price. The one on Reverb is $700 but local pickup only.

mspart

jeffb

Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned the elephant in the room as far as I see.

Good chance these are G12M70s if you are not certain of what year the cab is . M70s were 83-85, and they made them for more years than the 1265 cabs. Marshall did not jump from 1265s straight to T75s in the 1960 cabs.*

My best Marshall cab ever was an early 80s series just like this with 65s. I bought it after being beyond disappointed with my first cab which had M70s in it. Marshall had a bunch of disappointed customers with the M70s and thus the quick changeover to t75s.

Pull the back, know what you are buying if you are unsure of the year or what you are hearing.

* And like everything Marshall, I'm sure there were plenty of transition/overlap periods where they could be using either , despite "hard dates".

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
We have verified that the speakers are 65 watts, and the cab is 100% original, except that I believe the logo has been replaced. If you look at Marshall cabs from the 80's to today, those logos were all installed higher than the one in this cab (see earlier pic). Also, the script was slightly thinner than today's logos. Further evidence is suggested by the fact that there are scuff marks below the current logo, which may indicate damage to the original. But that's a lot of words to say that I don't give a crap about any of that.

I'm going back tomorrow to try it out once more with my SC20H. If everything still checks out, it's mine.

JCM 800 logo position of the cab in question (click to enlarge):

Photo of same model from Reverb.com (click to enlarge):
ifafb6q1ycwxddjjobwy.jpg

Modern 1960A:
1655930707173.png

As you can see, the logo clearly appears to have been re-drilled and replaced.

Last edited:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
There might be truth to the whole logo
situation.

I made a pic of my oldest JCM800 cab,
looky look. Logo is up higher, like on all
my 800 cabs.

tzunbvfr3579okjhgddtt.jpg

So replaced logo, this opens up some
wiggle window pricewise.:bump:

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Oh no.
It's an imposter cab.
Adulterated, possibly molested?

Maybe just newer grill cloth?

It has the black casters, that's early 80s ,if they are OEM?

I think we're more excited than Vin.

:D

Derrick111

Reaction score
The casters were black Homa (like the gold early to mid 70s type) until roughly 1985. Then they started using the Revvo casters which were black and those lasted a short time though roughly 1986 before changing to unpainted (bare metal) Revvo casters from roughly 1987 through some point in the mid 90s or so (into production of the JCM900s). All of my 1986 cabs have black Revvo casters. All of my early JCM800 cabs with 65s have black Homa casters. I have seen G12-70 loaded cabs with them too.

Also, I have compares 6 Marshall cabs from the 1980s side by side and the logos aren't all in the same place. That includes three from the same year. This leads me to believe that this was done by hand/eye and was a "rough" placement.

Lastly, the claim for quite some time has been that the 65 watters of the early JCM800s were the same as the late 70s JMP "Marshall" labeled speakers just before them. This is not true as you can clearely see that the 1979-1980 "Marshall" labeled speakers have a small dust cap compared to the 65s with large dust caps. I never thought they sounded the same either. The 65s are much smoother and have more "body" to me.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
YO
V i n n y !

IMG_20220623_161437_561.jpg

Did ya get it , huh huh did ya ?

He's awfully quiet about said scenario?

He must be letting the speakers and cab acclimate to the new surroundings.

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope. I weighed all the information, and the pros and cons as they apply to me right now, and opted out. I was a tough decision, I was 90% going to do it, but something was holding me back from spending that much cash on another 1 pc. of gear right now, particularly when I just bought a 1960A cab a week ago, which I'm quite happy with. Available space in my house is another issue, and I also realized that I didn't like that the logo wasn't the original, and was incorrectly installed; my OCD would never live it down. There other reasons, such as how much more it's going to cost to move just two cabs (let alone all of my other gear) across the country when I leave this God-forsaken state I live in, in just a couple more years.

Sorry, but not this time. I've been on a bit of a shopping spree lately, and I think it's time to exercise a little self control. I'm sure any of you can relate.

Thanks for all of your posts. :yesway:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Its ok, a couple of lords prayers tonight
and sacrificing couple slizes of pizza
afterwards and this little sin should be
in oblivion.

Let the devil/wife of another poor soul
that will fall for this non-original logo
bring the universal energy into balance
again.:p