1967 Marshall full stack for 7,500$?

Arthur Winter

Reaction score
Part 2... it’s a local buy and the guy said he doesn’t want to go below 7,500$. The things original to it is - the raw cabinets, the A cabinet’s late ‘67 20 watt label (25 watt) greenbacks, and the amp head, but it’s been recovered like the cabinets. I’ve been waiting for this Marshall for a while. I’m tempted to buy it because of the rare opportunity and I’ve had no success overseas. The guy said if I don’t buy it, when he moves in the next couple weeks, he’s going to recover it, with the pinstripe, and sell it for over 10k or some crazy price. The B cab has late 70’s black backs. It’s been in storage for the past decade he’s had it. I can’t test it out until I already make the 5:30 hour drive there, upstate. I don’t want to show up and end up trying to offer him less unless it’s casual or I find something else unoriginal that wasn’t shown or mentioned. I’ll attach photos

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It's probably worth that and it's not going to get LESS valuable unless it gets hacked up. It's an investment.
They're not going to get MORE common.

I question if the seller will actually be able to increase the sell price by recovering it to pinstripe specs. In fact I think that won't help the value at all. It probably won't hurt it, but probably won't help either.

Arthur Winter

Reaction score
full

playloud

Reaction score
This has been listed on Reverb a couple of times, without success. Here's the latest attempt: https://reverb.com/item/54291158-marshall-super-tremelo-1967

Hard to view any guitar amp as an investment, particularly in the long term. In this case, you would want many more pics/opinions from experts before plonking down $7500. Based on the little that's been shown, it's no museum piece!

neikeel

Reaction score
All I can see from the amp pictures is an original late 67 100w. The choke, OT and PT look original and I can’t see any extra holes.
Speakers look to be correct.
Inside the head will have had some work for pentode/triode but how much else?
Recover is nice if done well with EC and original string etc but is still a refin.
Price is no steal but likely around the mark?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Without inside-the-chassis photos, I would make no bids or offers. It's not as clean as I originally presumed.

Reaction score
Looks quite messed to me & what work can be seen makes me suspect a few horrors await under the chassis... Aside from what had been mentioned, has the PT been out? The doubled up nuts / fasteners aren't as I would expect. Are the speaker outs a series effects loop? Are there more holes added to the back panel? The photos seem selective and somewhat defensive. Only more photos will tell the tale.

Seanxk

Reaction score
Looks quite messed to me & what work can be seen makes me suspect a few horrors await under the chassis... Aside from what had been mentioned, has the PT been out? The doubled up nuts / fasteners aren't as I would expect. Are the speaker outs a series effects loop? Are there more holes added to the back panel? The photos seem selective and somewhat defensive. Only more photos will tell the tale.
Doubled up nuts ( a form of locking ), I've seen many and my JTM has them, no bolt just a length of thread with a Philidas nut ( an Aero style locknut ) internally and locked off with a couple of nuts.
Why they didn't use Philidas both ends I suspect cost or whatever was in the nut bin on final assembly.

Reaction score
Doubled up nuts ( a form of locking ), I've seen many and my JTM has them, no bolt just a length of thread with a Philidas nut ( an Aero style locknut ) internally and locked off with a couple of nuts.
Why they didn't use Philidas both ends I suspect cost or whatever was in the nut bin on final assembly.
Very good info, thank you seanxk!

Seanxk

Reaction score
I'm not sure internal pic's will come though, odd that the speakers have so many......

Arthur Winter

Reaction score
I'm not sure internal pic's will come though, odd that the speakers have so many......

Alright, thanks everyone. Good inputs and amazing information. So I bugged the seller about taking the pictures and then he ended up responding with “are you serious on buying.” I had to tell him yea cause he had other local interest supposedly. He said he’d take pictures, but is working... I’ll look at it in person if I have too, though I wouldn’t know what to look for besides noticing the original parts. It’s mine until Friday morning he said, whenever I’m able to make out there.

Arthur Winter

Reaction score
This has been listed on Reverb a couple of times, without success. Here's the latest attempt: https://reverb.com/item/54291158-marshall-super-tremelo-1967

Hard to view any guitar amp as an investment, particularly in the long term. In this case, you would want many more pics/opinions from experts before plonking down $7500. Based on the little that's been shown, it's no museum piece!

The listing was there for a while and I waited to contact him. Kept analyzing the pictures since it was listed. He took it down recently, the second time? He dropped the price on the listing a while ago and maybe that’s the first time it got taken down or reset? If not and if you know it was listed before the second time you recall, then that immediately makes me wary that another buyer showed up and walked away.

An investment in tone, instead of a financial thing for me. Appreciates too slow probably, but I won’t complain when it’s worth more when I pass it on, though also probably won’t care by then. Hopefully more pictures arrive before I’m suppose to head out there and find out.

neikeel

Reaction score
The doubled up nuts are correct on these transformers, you see some -43 PTs on 45/100 with them too. Of course you cannot say for sure but the OT is in correct orientation with original fixings and has the 1202-119 bell covers which are correct for a 67.
I agree totally that the photos are quite selective.

Seanxk

Reaction score
I wouldn't go to view if he doesn't send pic's, he's taken the backs off the cabs which is a whole lot more time consuming than sliding out the chassis, he's either being a dick or he's hiding something.

I could be wrong but don't you see the Tremelo being the most modded Marshall along with the PA?.

playloud

Reaction score
The listing was there for a while and I waited to contact him. Kept analyzing the pictures since it was listed. He took it down recently, the second time? He dropped the price on the listing a while ago and maybe that’s the first time it got taken down or reset? If not and if you know it was listed before the second time you recall, then that immediately makes me wary that another buyer showed up and walked away.

An investment in tone, instead of a financial thing for me. Appreciates too slow probably, but I won’t complain when it’s worth more when I pass it on, though also probably won’t care by then. Hopefully more pictures arrive before I’m suppose to head out there and find out.

I think the initial listing was a higher price than the latest Reverb one (i.e. higher than $9500), and now he's obviously trying to sell on CL for less. Odd that he removed it from Reverb (why not retain the option?)

I wouldn't drive 11 hours return without pics. Never a great sign when a seller balks at a completely reasonable request.

Arthur Winter

Reaction score
I ended up going to get the ‘67 stack last Thursday. It ended up looking alright in person and sounding better than I thought since playing it. Seems like the guy was just trying to move quick and sell it.

Reactions: ljs

Latest posts